Repairs, reel servicing & rod building from (ex) Trafford Angling Supplies longest serving staff member Dave,

with over 25 years in the industry, and creator of the TBR2 Barbel Tripod.

Friday 29 April 2016

Drennan 12ft 9'' Tench Float Handle Conversion.

I recently had this Drennan 12ft 9'' Tench Float  dropped off for a handle conversion from the old sliding reel fittings to a new style screw down winch fitting, I've always had a thing for Drennan rods, I personally think they're up there with the best ever made and sold in the UK market.

The Tench Float's one of my favourite's, so it was with a pang of jealousy that I set to work on this one !

The start consists of removing enough of the cork to accommodate the winch and still keep the reel in the position on the handle that the owner uses it in.


Then the blank is cleaned up in preparation for the masking tape arbors that the winch will be seated on.


Arbors in place, the winch can then be tried in place before a liberal dosing 
 of epoxy resin to ensure it doesn't go anywhere !


In place and once the glue's set, the blank can then be whipped and finished.


 The finished article, showing how the reel locks on with my 'half a reel' that I keep around for lining up winch fittings with the butt rings.


Incidentally, this particular rod had one butt ring that was also removed and re-whipped and finished.



Luckily I had whipping that was an identical match to the original ;)  



Any enquiries for prices or estimates for any type of work, call me on the usual number, top of the page . . . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment